Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Shopgirl, almost...

A few years ago, I had the pleasure of reading Steve Martin's novela "Shopgirl." It was a nice, fictional story...that is until yesterday.


I had my interview at Marshall Field's and was instantly offered a full-time position (pending another interview with management) in the jewelrey, handbag and glove department. Unfortunately, it paid about $7.75 before taxes, but all that was fine with me because I'm already starting to worry about this years' Christmas shopping (and I get wallopped with birthdays in December.) A nice employee's discount would definitely come in handy, as would steady employment. But I got to thinking about "Shopgirl" and how that would be me. It was a bit frightening, especially the part about selling leather gloves. Eventually, I decided to cancel my second interview which was scheduled for this morning. I'm making roughly the same amount with my unemployment checks. I'll try to hold out for something that paid at least $10 an hour.

Don't get me wrong--there's nothing wrong with working retail. I did it myself for a while; I also know how difficult it is to get out of a comfortable, yet poorly paying situation. I could be there for years and before I knew it, I'd be forty, still poor, living in a crappy apartment, and still unable to afford any of the items I'd be selling.

The job search continues.

1 comment:

Andrea Eames said...

I've been trying to find a job too... don't have a Marvin to talk to, sadly, so it's been temping jobs here and there. I'm sure it's building character. Or, in my best vampire voice, 'Zat vich does not kill us, makes us stronk.' I'm a shopgirl at the moment and will be till Christmas... the idea is to continue the job hunt from a position of security. I do, however, feel the Retail Black Hole sucking at me... the one that caused three other employees at the bookstore I work at to stay there for twenty-plus years. Eeeep!

If I'm still wearing a shop uniform by the time I'm thirty, I want all my friends to attack me with cattle prods.